As the best solar energy in the Dallas and DFW area, we take the solar power business very seriously and definitely treat your solar panel project as if it were for our own homes. However, we also recognize and appreciate the fun facts around electricity and the solar industry.
Great solar installation companies typically have a fun and interesting history full of fascinating facts you never knew. Hey, you might even share these with your friends or bring them to your next trivia night!
Solar Energy and Electricity Fun Facts:
- The term “watt” was named after James Watt, inventor of the steam engine.
- Before the discovery of electricity, people used pieces of hot metal to iron their clothes.
- Leonardo Da Vinci concluded that the sun does not move and that there would be solar industrialization.
- The solar PV (photovoltaic) effect was founded in 1839 by a French physicist, A.E. Becquerel.
- Selenium was found to conduct photoconductivity in 1873 by English electrical engineer Willoughby Smith.
- On October 19th, 1879, the first light bulb ran for 13.5 hours.
- Solar panels perform better in colder climates. (Despite the need for the sun’s radiation, colder temperatures with a lot of sunlight creates more voltage per sunlight hour.)
- Solar energy consists of radiant heat and light.
- The radiation from the sun that hits the earth for 1 hour could power the planet for a year.
- One ton worth of sand needed to make silicon cells can produce as much electricity as burning 500,000 of carbon based fuels.
- The first working PV cell was built by an American inventor, Charles Fritts, using selenium and gold.
- Bell Laboratories in 1954 developed the first silicon solar cell.
- The United States launched the first solar-powered satellite, the Vanguard I, in 1958.
- The distance between the sun and earth is approximately 90 million miles. It takes 8 minutes and 19 seconds for energy to travel from the sun to planet earth.
- Electricity travels at the speed of light, that’s more than 186,000 miles per second!
- In 2017 the United States was 2nd in the amount of renewable energy adopted. China was first, and Germany came in third.
- Solar energy produces no pollution.
- Solar energy can pasteurize water.
- California generates the most solar power in the US.
- The cost of solar panels had reduced by 99% since 1977.
- Homeowners break even on their solar panels system in under 10 years.
- Solar batteries can provide solar energy 24/7.
- Airplanes can fly while running entirely on solar energy.
- Space missions rely on solar energy.
- The 1970 oil crisis indirectly sparked research into solar energy technology.
- Solar panels can increase your home value.
Intrigued yet? Here are a few of the reasons why you should consider solar energy for your residential or commercial property:
- Save money on your energy bills: Solar panels can help you save money on your energy bills by generating electricity for your home.
- Reduce your carbon footprint: Solar panels can help reduce your carbon footprint by generating electricity without emitting greenhouse gasses.
- Increase the value of your home: Solar panels can increase the value of your home by making it more energy-efficient and attractive to potential buyers.
- Get tax credits and rebates: Solar panels may qualify you for federal and state tax credits and rebates.
Ready to get started?
You have no obligation after receiving a Free solar consultation. Let us show you how to save money on your electric bill, increase your home’s value AND save the planet!
Still on the edge about solar energy and going solar? Check out our learning center where you can find answers to most of your solar energy question.